EDitorial ± 18-Nov-2003
Synapse (Part 2)
Make sure you're connected
— Connected, Stereo MCs
- Me and t' wife were at the premiere of Love Actually on Sunday evening
with Hugh, Emma, Alan and a generally stellar cast. Well, I say premiere, it
was more of a preview screening, truth be told. Also, strictly speaking, the
stars and starlets were no more than moving images on the screen, which was in
UGC Cinemas at Cardinal Park, Ipswich.
Everyone's in it, from Ant & Dec to Marcus Brigstocke to thingy who plays Jack Bauer's accident-prone daughter in 24. Takes a while to get your head around who's who. Lots of laughs, a fair bit of schmaltz, and Bill Nighy's ageing pop star pretty much steals the show. In the fortunate position of playing Keira Knightley's new hubby is a chap named Chiwetel Ejiofor...
- ...whose surname reads like a challenging Scrabble hand. Earlier on that
same Sunday, a medical student named Harshan Lamabadusuriya became the 2003
national Scrabble champion. On the web you can even replay each of the three
move, which is fun. First word on the board in the final was
- ...which can mean both hello and goodbye. Hello Goodbye was on Magical
Mystery Tour, the Beatles' 1967 album. Unlikely cover stars of the current NME
are none other than the Fab Four, thanks to their remixed version of
This displaced the ubiquitous Dido on Amazon as number 1...
- ...and who should jump straight in at number 1 on the singles chart this
week but those cheeky young whippersnappers Busted,
outselling even Britney. They're due to play in Christchurch Park next summer, as
Charlie is the local boy made good, which should please
- ...who's been engaged in online auction frenzy with her younger sister.
Both were asked to tidy their rooms and, as encouragement, I said they could
have the money for any unwanted items sold on ebay. So eldest sold a cuddly pig
for a quid, then middler flogged some boots for £3.82. So eldest dug out
some riding boots, again outgrown, which went for £11. Then middler found
some much nicer boots, final price £14.37. Current stalemate while both
go in search of more boots...
- ...while the high street chemist of the same name (albeit with a capital)
have been doing a rather good offer: spend £50 and get a new Philips
Freeview box for half-price. Arriving
shortly, following today's online purchase, should be stacks of razors,
toothpaste and other "essentials", and hopefully a shiny silver digital box
to pick up CBBC...
- ...so the boy can gorge himself on
Balamory. Altogether now:
what's the story on Balamory, wouldn't you like to know? I can already sing
the tune without ever having seen an episode. It's filmed with real people, a
shock for pre-schoolers, on an island location somewhere in Scotland...
- ...where Sarah-down-the-road was born. Been working with Sarah on
Project X. Would like to say more, but can't. Very hush-hush. Might generate a
tiny bit of income, though not enough to stop my day job in
- ...in which David Brent is due back soon for a Christmas special. Wernham Hogg's voice of reason, of course, is Tim, played by Martin Freeman, who has one of the many parts in Love Actually...
Be seeing you!